It’s time to beat those winter blues!
The decrease of sunlight during the winter months can lead to feeling down. In colder areas we are confined indoors, sometimes days on end. That can give anyone the blues, so what can we do to beat them?
Here are 5 winter blues busting tips for you to try:
- Increase your intake of vitamin D to enhance your mood. The decrease of sunlight during the winter months can decrease the natural vitamin D we intake during the summer months. Try a liquid brand for maximum absorption. Ask your doctor for a recommended dose
- Drink Herbal tea. Chamomile is soothing and relaxing while peppermint is rejuvenating and helps with digestion. Citrus is uplifting on a blue day. Try a variety of spice teas as to warm your insides on a cold day. Ginger aids in digestion as well as warmth. Cinnamon will spice up your tea and will act as an anti inflammatory.
- Use essential oils. Defuse them into the air, or create an inhaler with citrus, roman chamomile, and lavender. Massage them into your skin with a carrier oil such as jojoba, coconut or aloe. They not only soothe the soul they will nourish your dry winter skin. Citrus can be irritating to the skin so never apply neat unless tested (neat means directly from the bottle onto the skin). Inhaling or defusing is best with citrus oils.
- Go for a massage a few times during the winter months for rejuvenation and self-care or ask your partner to give you one and return the favor. Human touch increases endorphins which is a natural mood enhancer.
- Eat seasonal. Vary you winter fruits and vegetables to coincide with the season making sure to add in dark leafy greens and berries with antioxidants. Whole food eating and decreasing processed foods is an instant blues mood buster.
I hope you enjoy theses winter blues busting tips!